|Date Posted||May 3, 2018|
The Building Inspector I will perform field inspections and technical work in connection with the enforcement of ordinances and ICC Building Codes. In addition, the Building Inspector will complete work related to licensing, planning, zoning, and permitting as required and enforcement of municipal codes. This position will be for the McHenry County, IL Clients. This is a part time position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Inspect commercial and residential buildings during various stages of construction and remodeling to ensure compliance with applicable codes, ordinances and regulations.
2. Examine plans and specifications of new construction, additions and alterations to residential and commercial buildings to determine compliance with the provisions of applicable construction codes, ordinances and regulations.
3. Inspect existing buildings and premises for change of use, occupancy, or compliance with applicable codes and ordinances.
4. Inspect foundation, concrete, steel, masonry, wood construction, framing, plastering, routine plumbing, heating and electrical installations and a large variety of other complex and routine building system elements.
5. Conduct inspections of swimming pools at construction sites for compliance with regulations; enforce state mandates as necessary.
6. Issue notices to comply on violations; maintain records of history of facts for possible legal actions.
7. Confer with architects, contractors, builders and the general public in the field and office; explain and interpret building requirements and restrictions.
8. Log, route, track, and process all incoming plans; respond to code and related questions in person and on the phone.
9. Maintain files and reports regarding inspection and plan check activities and findings.
10. Attend and participate in meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of building inspection and plans examination.
11. Conduct inspections and review plans for seismic safety precautions and code compliance.
12. Perform related duties as required.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
• Two years of comparable Construction and/or Building Inspector experience required.
• Computer proficiency and demonstrated knowledge of computer software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases required.
Knowledge of approved and modern methods, materials, tools, and safety used in building construction required
ICC Certifications in Plan Review, ICC Certification as a Residential and Commercial Building Inspector
The employee must be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely, in person, by telephone, and in writing.
Must be able to determine applicable codes pertaining to specific building types and building related projects.
Extent of Authority
Has the authority to carry out the duties described and to represent the firm.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is performed in an indoor and outdoor setting with exposure to all types of weather and temperature conditions, and travel from site to site. Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting and field environment; to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate amounts of weight; to operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. Vision may be correctable to see in the normal visual range. Hearing may be correctable to hear in the normal audio range.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.