|Date Posted||May 10, 2018|
Orbital Engineering has provided worldwide professional engineering and consulting services since 1969. Our commitment to quality, responsiveness, and attention to detail has earned us the reputation as a leading provider of engineering and design services. Over the years, we've broadened both our scope and client list and we've been consistently ranked among the Engineering News Record (ENR) Top 500 Design Firms.
With over 250 engineering and support staff throughout district offices in Pittsburgh (HQ), Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, and Houston, we are creative, client-driven, and collaborative. Currently, Orbital Engineering, Inc. is providing Engineering, Risk Mitigation, and Project Delivery Services for a variety of customers in the following industries:
- Midstream Oil & Gas
- Refineries & Petrochemical
- Utility & Power Generation
Orbital is seeking an experienced Structural Engineer to assist with single and multi-discipline projects in our Philadelphia office (Bensalem, PA). The position requires experience in heavy industrial engineering projects, preferably in the Metals, Midstream Oil & Gas, Refineries & Petrochemical and/or Utilities & Power Generation industries. The position requires the Structural Engineer to perform in varying roles related to detailed engineering design, project execution, technical support, and customer relationship development.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Field engineering and structural inspections as they relate to work scope.
- Assist with engineering studies, calculations, detailed design documents and specifications, project cost estimates, and providing installation support services.
- Perform analytical modeling of structures and components of structures utilizing STAAD software.
- Review calculations, drawings, and reports produced by other structural engineers in the office.
- Steel, concrete, masonry and foundation design.
- Develop, maintain, and upgrade technical standards/specifications to be used on specific projects, as well as centralized design basis and historical references.
- Complete all tasks in accordance with design and project execution procedures and guidelines as set forth in the corporate Quality Management System.
- Provide technical support for customers and support regional business development initiatives as a technical resource under the direction of a supervising engineer.
- Manage project progress relative to project plan, schedule, and budget.
- Contribute to company improvements in work flow, methods of work execution, and continued standards improvements.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills are important. Candidates should have a thorough understanding and aptitude in the use of current computer software (STAAD) including general office products, design and business enterprise software. This position will include some field engineering work and short duration travel will be expected from time to time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, bend and climb ladders. The employee is regularly required to use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Work in elevated or in tight, confined space type areas. Use of negative pressure, air filtering/purifying respiratory protection may be required
Education and Credentials:
- BS Civil/Structural Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Experience with steel, concrete, masonry and/or foundation design.
- Working knowledge of STAAD analytical software or equivalent
- Five (5) years of prior professional experience
- Exposure to the Metals, Midstream Oil & Gas, Refineries & Petrochemical and/or Utilities & Power Generation industries.
- Ability to perform field inspections at higher elevations
Preference Given To:
- MS Civil/Structural Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Professional Engineer (PE) certification and ability to obtain certification in other states
- Supervisory experience
- Inspection experience
A commitment to excellence and hard work will be rewarded with a competitive salary, career advancement opportunities, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, prescription drug, 401(k), and supplemental insurance.
Orbital Engineering, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, EEO/AA/M-F-V-D. Orbital Engineering, Inc. seeks diversity among its employees.