|Date Posted||November 28, 2018|
Position Open: November 28, 2018
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Structural Engineer PE in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will be responsible for performing and directing structural engineering duties on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope, including but not limited to foundation and superstructure selection, analysis, design, and coordination.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing structural engineering duties as a lead project engineer including analysis and design involving the four major structural materials (concrete, structural steel, wood, and masonry), supervising and directing the work of EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, coordination with other design disciplines, leading the production of contract documents, and satisfying project budget and schedule requirements
- Working on a multi-discipline design team
- Meeting with clients to prepare and validate scope of work
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Obtain guidance from Senior Engineers and the Department Head as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Direct and supervise the work of EI/EIT’s and CAD Technicians assigned to the project, particularly where unusual or difficult problems are encountered
- Performing structural services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments as directed
- Performing structural services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Complying with the company’s quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from the Department Director, Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management
- Working with a multi-discipline team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Participate in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Directing, supervising and training junior structural staff as directed
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior structural staff
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Senior Structural Engineer tasks as directed
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the structural portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, structural-only projects
- Conduct project code analysis for review by the Senior Structural Engineer
- Selection and layout of the gravity and lateral-load resisting systems, including consideration of alternative systems
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant structural drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Develop details of building system components
- Develop discipline specifications for review by the Senior Structural Engineer
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by structural EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, particularly analysis and design assumptions and input data, output results, and boundary conditions for analytical models
- Reviewing all work products produced by support staff assigned to the project
- Coordinate drawings with technical specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Incorporate responses to QC and Gray Team comments into the project documents
- Assist in responding to RFI’s, Dr. Check comments, etc.
- Review and respond to CA submittals
- Perform discipline QA/QC review on assigned projects
- Adhere to discipline budget and schedule
- Graduation from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil Engineering Technology (structural emphasis)
- Architectural Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Post-graduate degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering-related degree may be given additional consideration
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Professional Engineer or Structural Engineer in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- NCEES Record to facilitate licensure through reciprocity is desirable
- Attainment of the NCEES MLSE (Model Law Structural Engineer) credential is preferred
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP or LEED Green Associate accreditation preferred
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- Active participation in NSPE, ASCE, NCSEA or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Structural Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with analysis, design, and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Structural Engineer should typically have 4 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with a Structural Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm. Experience with all four major structural materials (concrete, structural steel, wood, and masonry) and their respective material codes is desirable.
Experience as a Structural Engineer in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
Previous experience with wireless communications projects will be given additional consideration for Structural Engineers assigned to our Wireless Communications division.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence.
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession